Wednesday 15 October 2014

Spin-o-Rama - The Primitives

In the days of millionaire musicians giving away their music for free it's comforting to know that some play by the rules. You know; make music, release it and allow people to buy it. Of course the term 'buy it' means different things to different people. To some it will mean heading out to the shops, others will order it on online and have it delivered whilst some will simply download it. Or stream it. All good. 

There was a time, ooh yonks ago, when I wouldn't even entertain the idea of downloading. Not pure enough. Poorer quality (although that's debatable). An inferior product. But now downloads form the bulk of my music purchases these days. I've moved on. A little.

Well it's so quick isn't it? Especially this album with the 11 tracks running a little over 25 minutes. But don't let that put you off. Since when did we start to judge the value of music by the duration? Hopefully never. You'd have to take out a second marriage or sell a kidney to buy a Pink Floyd album. And you can forget about buying boxsets!

It may be short but it packs a punch. The distinctive Primitives trademarks are all here; 60s influenced guitars, buzzing bass lines and glorious harmonic vocals. Only now with a delicate modern tinge. This is most obvious in the drumming. Never has a Primitives' album had such great sounding rhythms. Just have a listen to 'Follow The Sun Down' and you'll hear what I mean. 

Elsewhere 'Hidden In The Shadows' wouldn't sound out of place on their debut album and 'Petals' is a summer blast like only The Primitives can do.

The only time that the short running time feels like short change is the semi-instrumental 'Velvet Valley'. I say semi because 'sha-la-la' are not lyrics and repeating it over a buzz saw backing track does seem like a half idea. Which it is. 

But I have found my summer album and it's a blast. What's more, at just 25 minutes I can listen to the whole thing on my commute. Summer guitar pop to be taken twice a day. The perfect pill. Pop it now! 


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to post here, about a different blog, but is there any way you could direct me to where you got Miles hunt MP3 of the month club, or perhaps share it with me here or privately?

    my email is qbert331@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete