Wednesday 14 September 2016

Here - Teenage Fanclub

There was a time, although it's quite a while ago now, that I could tell you exactly where I was when I made a particular album purchase. You see, buying a new album was a big deal. Part of the experience was physically leaving the house, rain or shine, and heading to the purveyor of choice. Then, the excruciating wait before it could be listened to; a bus ride home, having to sit through a whole day of classes or survive a day in the office. 

'The Wait' was particularly important when buying a new release - it was absolutely crucial that any new album be bought on the day of release, preferably as soon as the shops opened. I have, in some cases, had to wait whilst a shop keeper unopened boxes that had recently been delivered to the shop. Well he was going to have to do it anyway but maybe not whilst a snotty kid waited impatiently for him to find the latest Charlatans single.

(Sorry, I am getting to the point it's just taking a while this morning)

But it was that process of waiting that was really magical. You see, from the moment you bought the album, until the time you heard the first note you had in your hand the perfect album. There were no dodgy tracks, fillers or disappointments. It was the best time. 

In contrast, 'Here' landed in my digital collection automatically. There it was, ready to listen to without so much as a fanfare or missed bus. 'The Wait' had been all but eliminated. I could, if I had so chosen, listen to it immediately. Right there on my iPhone. 

But where's the fun in that? No, I would have to instigate my own wait. So I left it until I was in the comfort of my own home and in the presence of a proper hi-fi. Speakers and everything. There was even a cup of tea on offer to enhance th listening experience. Besides, if you're going to wait six years between releases, then what difference does an extra few hours make?

Well, as befits a band of their calibre, 'The Wait' was worth it. See I told you I was getting to the point! Everything that you have come to expect from the Bellshill band is presnent; glorious harmonies, crunchy guitars and great pop hooks.

The album sets the tone with the opening track 'I'm in Love' - I defy anyone to find a better track to accompany the coming summer. Well if you are, like me, in the Southern Hemisphere that is. Jangling guitars drive the song forward and suddenly tea seems like a poor substitute for a song so drenched in sunshine. 

It's not all shimmering pop songs. The song 'Steady State' is a more laid back affair, creating a beautiful dreamlike soundscape. Perfect for days on the coast.

But for me, the standout track is 'I Have Northing More To Say'. It bounces along on a wave of phased guitars, gentle rhythm and melodic bass whilst glorious harmonies are a reminder that no one does this quite as well as the Fanclub.

I'm already looking forward to the summer. If, however, you're reading this in the Northern Hemisphere then you're going to have to wait a little while longer to bring out the best in this album. But you know what, 'The Wait' will be worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment